Wednesday, December 12, 2007

A distressing thought

So, I just finished reading A.J. Jacobs's "A Year of Living Biblically." This was a great book! I found it to be funny, poignant, wise. Jacobs is a great writer, and he found such depth and wisdom in these dusty old OT regulations. I want to try this too! Although maybe not to the extreme that he did.

So, the other day I was looking for a new book to pass my time on the train. I've been feeling a need recently to "break out of the Christian Bubble" a bit, so I didn't want to get something Christian-themed. I picked up Jacobs's previous book, about reading his way through the Encyclopedia Britannica. It's definitely a different book, but there are moments that are funny, poignant, wise. He's finding value in these dusty old books that I never would have imagined. I want to read through the Encyclopedia Brittanica too!

Uh oh.

What if the value I found in "The Year of Living Biblically" was less a function of the wisdom in Scripture and more that I really like A.J. Jacobs and his perspective on life?

1 comment:

rachel said...

probably a little of both! great writers help us interpret life in a better way.