Friday, February 22, 2008

On seeing clearly, literally and spiritually

Several years ago, a friend of mine got eyeglasses for the first time. His comment on the experience has stuck with me ever since -- "I never knew the world was so clear!" I've often had the same reaction when I get a new prescription. I thought I could see just fine -- but it turned out there was a whole other world of possibilities out there, and I didn't even know I was missing it.

I've often thought that this is a good metaphor for the convicting work of the Holy Spirit. I may be chugging along, thinking I'm doing just fine, not even aware that there's this whole other world of possibilities out there. I never knew that my life could be so clear.

And, of course, the entire purpose here is restoration. My optometrist wants me to realize that I'm not in fact seeing all that well -- but only so that I can get the prescription that will enable me to see clearly. There's no interest whatsoever in beating me down for its own sake -- nor is there any expectation that I should forego corrective lenses and just see clearly by sheer force of will. That way madness lies.

The same thing is true in the spiritual realm. The goal here is to get me seeing clearly, seeing through God's eyes. That's never going to happen unless I first realize that I am not now seeing clearly, and take advantage of the offered prescription.

These thoughts were inspired by the latest essay in the excellent Christian Vision Project.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2008/february/32.76.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, very well put.

BB said...

As a fairly blind person, I love the ridiculousness of the idea of trying to see clearly by sheer force of will - it's so illustrative! Also, my mom recalls her first pair of glasses when she was a child much like your friend does ... it was finally realizing that leaves had veins and that bugs existed and a whole bunch other things she'd never seen before. Can you imagine? What a revelation.